What you put on your body is just as important as what you put in your body! Our skin is our largest organ. What you put on your skin is absorbed into your bloodstream and contributes to your toxic load.
There was a study done by the Environmental Working Group that tested the cord blood of babies and more than 200 chemicals were found in each newborn. Developing fetuses are some of the most vulnerable populations to environmental toxins so it is so important to do your homework and know what is in your products.
Did you know that there hasn’t been a law passed since 1938 that regulates the personal care industry?
There are over 80,000 ingredients found in beauty and personal care products. In the United States, there are only 30 ingredients that are banned from our personal care products whereas in the United Kingdom there are 1,400. This is terrifying! What this means is, companies can put whatever they want in their products knowing they contain toxins that can cause cancer and many other problems. It is our job to do our homework and find products that contain only safe, well-tested ingredients.
I use the EWG Skin Deep Database to help me determine which products contain safe ingredients. EWG rates products and ingredients on a scale from 0-10 based on the safety of the ingredients. They even have a handy app you can download on your phone so you can scan items while at the grocery store.
After years and years of searching for safe, clean products that actually work and actually do what they say they will, I started to hear about a company called Beautycounter.
After doing lots of homework, I decided to join Beautycounter on their mission to help get safer products into the hands of everyone. One of the many things I love about Beautycounter is they do our homework for us. At Beautycounter, each and every ingredient is screened and assessed against 23 safety endpoints (like carcinogenicity and reproductive harm). Beautycounter has created the Never List which is a list of over 1,800 ingredients that they will never allow in their products. They test all of their products for heavy metals at numerous points within the production process. If there are data gaps, they collaborate with leading universities to conduct tests. They are pushing for more health-protective laws. They create personal care products that are cleaner, safer, AND higher performing.
Did you know lead is still commonly found in lipstick?
My favorite personal care products:
- Mascara- Thrive Cosmetics Liquid Lash Extensions Mascara & Beautycounter Think Big Mascara
- Eye Liner- Beautycounter Color Outline Eye Pencil
- Foundation- Beautycounter Skin Twin Featherlight Foundation
- Concealer- Beautycounter Skin Twin Creamy Concealer
- Blush- Beautycounter Cheeky Clean Cream Blush
- Lip Gloss- Beautycounter Beyond Gloss
- Lipstick- Beautycounter Sheer Genius Conditioning Lipstick (in Rosewood)
Hair & Body:
- Shampoo & Conditioner- Prose Custom Hair Care take the hair questionnaire here.
- Shampoo & Conditioner- Beautycounter’s Shampoo & Conditioner is great for normal hear. This is what I purchase for my family.
- Heat Protector- Oway Nurturing Drops or Innersense Hair Love Prep Spray. I prefer the Oway drops for my hair. It is super hydrating, also works as an anti-frizz cream, and smells amazing!!
- Hair Spray- Innersense I Create Hold
- Dry Shampoo- Primally Pure Natural Dry Shampoo
- Body Lotion- Beautycounter Countermatch Adaptive Body Moisturizer
- Self-Tanner- Beauty by Earth Self Tanning Lotion
- Kids Bodywash- Everyone Kids Soap
- Hair Brush- Tangle Teezer (The most gentle brush out there)
- Face Regimen- Beautycounter Countermatch Collection (my skin tends to be on the oily side so this is the collection that works for me. The Countertime Collection is amazing for dry skin and has great anti-aging properties. The Countercontrol Collection is great for oily- acne-prone skin.)
- Acid Peel- Beautycounter Overnight Resurfacing Peel
- Vitamin C Cream- Beautycounter All Bright C Serum
- Face Exfoliator- Acure Face Scrub
- Face Mask- Beautycounter Charcoal Facial Mask
- Body Sunscreen- Countersun Mineral Sunscreen Lotion SPF 30. Thinkbaby Sunscreen is also great.
- Face Sunscreen- Countersun Daily Sheer Defense For Face SPF 25
See my other recommendations here
Here is a curated list of the brands and products that I have tested…February 19, 2020
Disclaimer: This page includes affiliate links, and I will earn a commission if you purchase through these links. Please note that I’ve linked to these products purely because I recommend them and they are from companies I trust. There is no additional cost to you.