Washington State is home to some amazing campgrounds but Salt Creek Campground tops the list as the best campground in the Olympic Peninsula in my book.
Just 25 minutes outside of Port Angeles, Salt Creek has so much to offer. The campground has multiple staircases that lead down to the tide pools at Tongue Point Marine Life Sanctuary leaving so much to explore. There is also a playground, sand volleyball courts, horseshoe pits, a basketball court, playing fields, trails, and bunkers to explore. What really makes it for me is Crescent Beach.
Crescent Beach is located just west of the campground and is one of the best beaches in Washington. An expansive, flat, sandy beach that is perfect for kids to run and play, taking a stroll, watching surfers out in the waves, and searching for beach treasures.
Salt Creek Campground
There are 92 scenic campsites with both reservable and first-come, first-served options. Being that it is a coveted campground, you must make reservations far in advance! One of the best parts about the campsites at this campground is the views!
Healthy Camp Food
While I think there is a time and a place to splurge and eat food you wouldn’t normally eat, going camping doesn’t have to mean throwing your healthy lifestyle out the window.
Here are some of my favorite camping meals:
- Pasta Salad: I make this ahead of time and store it in the cooler. Perfect for both lunch & dinner.
- Roasted Sweet Potato and Black Bean Salad: Made up ahead of time and a perfect snack or accompaniment to any campfire meal.
- Breakfast Hash: Make ahead of time and warm up in a cast iron skillet over the fire. You can crack a couple eggs over the hash and cover with a lid for a perfect breakfast over the campfire.
- Grass-fed hot dogs: While this isn’t something I personally eat, its something my family enjoys making over a campfire.
- Lots of washed and cut fruit and veggies.
- Of course, smores. My favorite cleaner ingredients for smores are Dandy’s Marshmallows, Nairn’s Gluten Free Oat Grahams, and Equal Exchange’s Coconut Chocolate Bars. Still a treat but not nearly has bad for you as conventional smores.